August 25, 1999
World's first to feature LS3 mode which enables digital recording of up to 24 hours
HM-DR10000 D-VHS Digital Recorder
- In addition to digital recording of analog signals such as terrestrial broadcasts and BS, digital dubbing from DVC is made possible -
Victor Company of Japan, Ltd. (JVC) is introducing the HM-DR10000 D-VHS Digital Recorder, equipped with the D-VHS LS3 mode, making it the world's first to realize a max. 24 hours of digital recording per cassette (using D-VHS 480 minute cassette to be available next spring), as phase two of their domestic D-VHS marketing. It incorporates a newly developed MPEG2 encoder, enabling digital recording of all analog NTSC signals such as terrestrial and satellite broadcasts, digital dubbing from a digital video camera (DVC), and digital recording of digital satellite broadcasts.
A European version of this model is also being developed concurrently, with plans to exhibit it at the Berlin Show starting August 28th, with sales scheduled to commence in November.
1. World's first to be equipped with LS3 mode which enables digital recording for a maximum 24 hours*. (* using D-VHS 480 minute cassette)
In addition to the D-VHS STD mode, it is the world's first to be equipped with the LS3 mode. This enables an entire day's programming to be recorded on one cassette.
2. Incorporates newly developed MPEG2 encoder/decoder which converts analog signal to MPEG2 digital signal.
This enables D-VHS recording of analog signals such as terrestrial and satellite broadcasts, as well as conventional video signals from VHS/S-VHS video equipment. Thanks to the decoder, the playback picture can be viewed on existing analog TVs.
3. Equipped with i.LINK (IEEE 1394) digital interface terminal.
(1) Converts DV signal to MPEG2 digital signal. Enables digital dubbing to D-VHS by connecting with DV terminal (i.LINK) of MiniDV video camera.
(2) Enables digital recording of "SKY PerfecTV!" digital communication satellite (CS) broadcasts (with program data recorded along with the video and audio) when connected with TU-VCS1 Digital CS Tuner via i.LINK. Also, DTCP Digital Copy Protection is incorporated.
4. Equipped with D1 output terminal (color differential signal output) which enables high quality viewing of D-VHS recorded image.
By connecting to a TV equipped with a D1 input terminal, it enables playback and viewing of high quality, vivid color images.
5. Equipped with "Video Navigation" that makes it easy to manage and search through recorded tapes.
Stores about 1300 titles of recorded programs in deck's memory, including recorded time and date, and tape number.
6. Provides high-speed forward/reverse playback (Shuttle Search) of D-VHS recorded image
Enables D-VHS recorded image (from analog source or dubbed from DV) to be searched through at 12 times normal speed in STD mode, or 36 times normal speed in LS3 mode.
7. High quality also for
S-VHS/VHS with technologies such as Digital 3-Dimensional
Circuit, Digital Wide TBC and S-VHS ET
< Development Concept >
Currently, the world of TV broadcasting is at a turning point, shifting from analog broadcasting to digital. In satellite broadcasting, digital broadcasts have already been initiated in various regions of the world, and in the U.S. and U.K. digital terrestrial broadcasting has begun last year, heralding the start of the truly digital broadcast era.
Meanwhile in Japan, digital CS broadcasting has started, scheduled to be followed by digital broadcast satellite (BS) transmissions by the end of next year, and digital terrestrial broadcasts a few years later.
In anticipation of such a digital broadcast age, JVC developed D-VHS ('96), which enables digital recording based on VHS, as the ideal medium for "home video for the 21st century". Although JVC has already marketed D-VHS products aimed at digital satellite broadcast recording in the U.S. ('97) and in Japan ('99), it will take a few more years before digital broadcasting in Japan and Europe are in full swing. Even after shifting to digital, analog broadcasting will take place concurrently for a number of years, and likewise in the case of household audiovisual equipment, it is likely for digital and analog to coexist for the time being. Based on these factors, the HM-DR10000 was developed to be a "D-VHS that is also suitable for analog broadcasting (signals)".
Factors considered in development:
(1) Enable D-VHS digital recording of current analog broadcasts (signals) in addition to CS digital broadcasts.
(2) Equip LS3 mode for long time digital recording that expands usage possibilities. (World's first)
(3) Enable digital dubbing from digital video camera (DV). (World's first)
(4) Allow forward/reverse high-speed playback (Shuttle Search) of D-VHS recorded image. (World's first)
As shown here, expanded use of D-VHS, by enabling the coexistence of analog and digital, was given highest priority in development of this product which was conceptualized as a "24-hour all digital video".
*To be available next spring.
< Connectivity Concept of HM-DR10000 >
< Main Specifications >
* i.LINK is for IEEE 1394-1995 or extension specification.
# # #
MAIN FEATURES OF HM-DR10000
< D-VHS Section >
1. World's first to be equipped with LS3 mode to allow digital recording of up to 24 hours.
In addition to D-VHS STD mode (14.1 Mbps), it is equipped with LS3 mode (4.7 Mbps). This enables recording of 24 hours a day, on a single tape, using D-VHS 480 minute cassette to be available next spring.
2. Incorporates newly developed MPEG2 encoder/decoder.
Equipped with newly developed MPEG2 encoder which converts analog signals, such as terrestrial TV broadcasts or BS, to digital signal for recording on D-VHS. Also, by virtue of the built-in decoder which converts D-VHS digital signals to analog, it is possible to easily connect to existing analog TVs for high quality viewing.
3. Equipped with i.LINK (IEEE 1394) digital interface terminal.
(1) Converts DV signal to MPEG2 digital signal. Enables digital dubbing to D-VHS by connecting with DV terminal (i.LINK) of digital video camera (DV).
(2) Enables digital recording of "SKY PerfecTV!" digital CS broadcasts when connected with TU-VCS1 Digital CS Tuner via i.LINK.
4. Equipped with D1 output terminal to enable output of D-VHS playback digital image component (color differential) signal.
By connecting to a TV equipped with a D1 input terminal, it is possible to play back and view images with high quality and vivid color that is unattainable by S-Video connection.
5. Provides high-speed forward/reverse playback (Shuttle Search) of D-VHS recorded image.
The first to achieve a playback speed of 12 times normal speed in STD mode, and 36 times normal speed in LS3 mode (only with D-VHS recordings from analog or DV input).
6. New "Frame Synchronizer" makes it possible to create digital recordings from unstable analog signals.
Enables digital recording of unstable analog signals such as old tapes and dubbed tapes.
7. Equipped with " i.LINK Select LINK" to meet the digital multimedia age.
Allows input source to be selected from among a maximum of 63 i-LINK-equipped units, with automatic detection of category or the name of manufacturer.
1. High quality design
(1) Equipped with Digital Wide TBC to always stabilize the image by preventing image roll. Replaces color burst signal with regular signal, and enables improvement of dubbed image quality.
(2) JVC's original Digital 3-Dimension Super Color technology prevents color bleed in image borders and color fade in small areas.
(3) Wide-Range Digital 3-Dimension Hadamard NR for a dramatic reduction in luminance signal noise during playback.
(4) Digital 3-Dimensional CNR offers a dramatic reduction of color noise during playback, delivering vivid color images.
(5) Equipped with Intelligent
Picture that lets the user select the appropriate mode
from among 4 according to the type of viewing material.
(6) Equipped with S-VHS ET function which enables high-quality recording on VHS cassettes with over 400 lines of resolution.
(7) Equipped with "Tape Level Up" function which rapidly checks the performance of the tape being used to bring out its maximum capability during recording. It is an effective function especially for S-VHS ET recording.
2. Easy, convenient, worry-free design
(1) Has Jog/Shuttle dial to enable special-effects playback of S-VHS/VHS recorded image.
(2) Equipped with "Auto CM Cut" function which automatically stops recording commercials (stereo) while recording a monaural or bilingual program, plus "CM Skip" which fast-forwards 30 seconds at the touch of a button (maximum 2 minutes).
(3) High-speed rewind at 220 times normal speed (100 seconds in case of 2-hour tape), especially convenient when the end of a rental software cassette is reached.
(4) "Complete Recording"
function which automatically switches to EP mode in order
to fit the entire program on a tape (during SP mode
< D-VHS, S-VHS/VHS section >
(1) Precise Digital 3-Dimensional Y/C Separation enables high-density images without cross color and dot interference which are generated during input of TV broadcast or composite image signal.
(2) Has "Clear BS tuner" which enables stable reception even in bad weather conditions.
(3) Has "Video Navigation" function which is convenient for managing and accessing recorded videos.
Enables memorization of about 1300 programs, including recording time and date, channel, tape number, as well as manual kanji input of category and program title.
(4) Equipped with "Auto Wide System" for wide-screen TV, which automatically detects full mode from MUSE-NTSC converter for High-Vision reception, as well as "AFC input terminal", "S-Video return input terminal", "S1 terminal", "W Decoder terminal" for convenient WOWOW reception, and "Return input terminal".
(5) 1-Year/8-Event programmable timer enables repeated recording "Every week", "From Monday to Friday" and from "external input".
(6) Equipped with "G-Code Instant Programming" and "Express Programming" function which enables manual timer programming by pressing just the "Program" -> "Start" -> "Stop" -> "Date" -> "Channel" buttons on the remote.
(7) "Index Search Playback" function makes it easy to search for a recorded program (�}9 either direction).
(8) "Repeat Playback" function enables repeated (50 x) playback automatically from beginning to end of the tape. (Only for VHS, S-VHS, and D-VHS "STD mode" recorded tapes.)
(9) "Tape Position Indicator" is displayed on the screen during forward/reverse or index search to show you where you are on the tape.
(10) "LCD Smart Remote Control" which enables TV operation (power, direct channel selection, volume, input switching) of models by 12 companies in Japan including JVC, EPG operation of SKY PerfecTV! tuner equipped with i.LINK, timer recording by G-Code with convenient LCD panel on the remote control.
(11) "Just Clock" function which always displays the correct time; video clock is set and automatically adjusted by NHK broadcasting time signal.
(12) "Audio Level Meter" which enables confirmation of sound in-/output at a glance during recording or dubbing.
(13) "Auto counter reset" resets the counter whenever a cassette is loaded.
(14) "Auto head cleaner" cleans the heads automatically whenever a cassette is loaded or ejected.
(15) "Area code input channel set" makes it easy to preset the deck's channels (equivalent to 134 areas in Japan).
(16) "Surge protection circuit" helps prevent damage to video circuits caused by lighting.
(17) 7-hour timer backup for power outages.
(c)copyright 1999 VICTOR COMPANY OF JAPAN, LIMITED. All rights reserved.